Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ETC Rarity, Visibility, and Market Trends

LanAkou

Rookie
Hello, I'm LanAkou. I've been talking to my friend Arokh about ETC rarity. This is going to be long, but the tl;dr is that certain ETCs are rarer than the lumas they go with, sometimes to a ridiculous degree, and I think this will create problems in 1.0.

~~~~

We brought data. The community has suspected certain ETCs are rarer than others for years now, but screenshots of the PDX vault during Cato's Black Saturday has almost certainly confirmed 3 distinct tiers: Common, Uncommon, and Rare. Here is a link to a screenshot showing that difference:

PDX Vault on Black Saturday

(For those unfamiliar, Black Saturday was the first Dojo War victory, where PDX received infinite drops for almost 35 minutes before servers went down and those drops were reversed. These numbers look strange given the context of infinite drops if we assume all ETCs are of equal rarity, but make perfect sense if we assume a three tier system. Sadly, we were unable to document ETC rarity at the time.)

Dojo Wars presented a unique opportunity to document this phenomenon. Top clubs have been collaborating on a shared worksheet for the past few months in order to gauge the relative rarity of certain ETCs. This week, we surpassed 1000 documented entries.

Here is a read-only link to a copy of that sheet.

I'm linking a copy and not the original to protect collaborators identities and certain personal identifying information. The first thing that might strike you is that we have yet to document a single Ultrasound or Strangle ETC. Assuming that they are in the pool, this could just as easily have been Wastewater, Ninja Jutsu, or Beta Burst. Key ETCs for competitive Zaobian, Venmet, or Barnshe sets. I think it's safe to assume more luma Oree/Zaobian exist than Wastewater ETCs. The same is likely also true for Venx (all 3 evolutions see competitive play and will all want the Ninja Jutsu ETC) and with the radar changes in 1.0, this will likely also be true for Barnshe. Certainly, there are more luma 0B10s than there are Bush ETCs, or Waspeens than Chain Heals.

I do not know what 1.0 will hold, but I think I've more than made my case that this is at least a problem as it stands now. Wastewater ETCs have seen record high prices since Auction House, and there are very few ways to obtain ETCs as it is (Fishing, Lairs, and IGTs have a chance of providing one, and Dojo Wars are the only guaranteed way). If you don't belong to a top PvP club, you may never see these ETCs, and even if you do you'll be in competition with the other players in your own club.

Additionally, this presents a problem for newer players who might happen upon a rare ETC (such as Strangle) and a player "in the know" might purchase it from them for 10k. These rarities not being publicly visible creates a problem. Furniture has color coded rarities, why not do the same for ETCs?

Last edited:

Arokh_Belmont

Rookie
Hey!

We always look for ways to improve the visibility of data and to help players in the wiki. My main issue with this situation is that the rarities are nowhere designated. We are not asking for drop chances here but as LanAkou mentioned a coloration of the ETC icons akin to cosmetics would already help immensely. There is no way to tell a rarity of an ETC. It is not dependant on learning levels/amount of parents/amount of tems which learn the egg technique/technique strength/technique distribution. It is impossible for a new player to tell how rare the item is and people with data sheets like this can take advantage of the situation. That is what concerns me the most about this situation.

Stripclub

Apprentice
i think all etc´s should either have the same chance of appearing OR we should have the option of buying them for a set price (pansun, feathers, other etc´s) from a vendor on endgame island. hiding some etc´s behind insane RNG (matter teleport, Wastewater, jinxed whisper, strangle, ninja jutsu) is not good gameplay nor is it a motivation to run lairs or other content.

Kaaena

Apprentice
i think all etc´s should either have the same chance of appearing OR we should have the option of buying them for a set price (pansun, feathers, other etc´s) from a vendor on endgame island. hiding some etc´s behind insane RNG (matter teleport, Wastewater, jinxed whisper, strangle, ninja jutsu) is not good gameplay nor is it a motivation to run lairs or other content.
this.

And everytime there is a new luma in saipark, this is WAR to get the ETC for your new luma. (hi hellfire with hoglip week recently x) )

nothing really relevant to add, LanAkou and Strip said it all.

Something similar to Steam Community Market, where there's a graph that shows past price trends and currently available listings of the same thing in the auction house, would be nice but would probably be limited to items and not be compatible with tems. Items don't have variation other than the amount.

This would probably need a significant overhaul to the auction house interface, at least for the items on sale category.

i think all etc´s should either have the same chance of appearing OR we should have the option of buying them for a set price (pansun, feathers, other etc´s) from a vendor on endgame island.
I like the underlined parts of this.