Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to speed up radars without changing the spawn rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldschuss

Apprentice
I've been seeing a lot of radar discussion resurfacing lately. The biggest problem for most people is the massive time investment in low spawn radars, yet a lot of suggestions made to alleviate this, can't be implemented without directly affecting the rarity of said Temtem. I do a lot of radars myself and since I'm a strong supporter of the mentality that "rare temtem should stay rare", I present to you 3 changes that will massively speed up radars, without changing the rarity of each temtem.

1. Radar encounters will always be double encounters.
2. Due to 1, double encounters will no longer "consume" overworld temtem. so each time you run into a temtem, 2 will spawn.
3. Radar timer now ticks even in battle! Currently, you have to stand in a patch of grass for a certain period of time, not doing anything else until your temtem spawns. This is possibly the biggest gripe I have with the system.

With those 3 changes combined, you can complete each radar a lot faster, while still being true to it's original design in regards to rarity for each radar/temtem.

GundamFlicker

Apprentice
These would all definitely help, especially 3, which encourages catching.

That said, I very much do not believe that speeding up the radars in any way makes the tem less rare. The radar itself already does that, and the rare radars themselves are already rare to compensate for that (Since dojo rematches wer eimplemented, though it took me a few months to be able to win them, nonetheless in the MONTHS since I've been able to do so, I've acquired a total of... 5 5% radars. 2 of which were this week). Whether they're slow or fast it doesn't change the fact that someone is getting potentially 400 catches of it (though realistically most won't be worth bringing into the economy).
When people say that rare tem should stay rare in response to radar spawns, it just sounds like a form of gatekeeping against players who don't have the time to invest - though you have made good suggestions nonetheless.

Goldschuss

Apprentice
That said, I very much do not believe that speeding up the radars in any way makes the tem less rare. The radar itself already does that, and the rare radars themselves are already rare to compensate for that.
Exactly my point! Wether you complete a radar in 6 hours or 12 is irrelevant. 5% will always stay 5%, which is why I'm bringing this up. But simply increasing spawn rate doesn't stay true to it's original design. Plus, every radar will profit from this change in the same way, whether you have a rare or common temtem.

GundamFlicker

Apprentice
Exactly my point! Wether you complete a radar in 6 hours or 12 is irrelevant. 5% will always stay 5%, which is why I'm bringing this up. But simply increasing spawn rate doesn't stay true to it's original design. Plus, every radar will profit from this change in the same way, whether you have a rare or common temtem.
That is indeed more than fair. Actually, now I like it even more because applying the same principle to more common tem radars means they're less of a chore.

Fikule

Tamer
One suggestion to add that I put in another post. Knocking out a tem reduces the respawn time significantly.

Knocking them out means you have not impacted how rare they are by capturing them, which negates the need for long spawns.

This would only impact the spawn time for one radar encounter (i.e. after one overworld radar tem has spawned, the reduced spawn time is gone. It shouldn't be able to let you stack up encounters)

Goldschuss

Apprentice
One suggestion to add that I put in another post. Knocking out a tem reduces the respawn time significantly.

Knocking them out means you have not impacted how rare they are by capturing them, which negates the need for long spawns.

This would only impact the spawn time for one radar encounter (i.e. after one overworld radar tem has spawned, the reduced spawn time is gone. It shouldn't be able to let you stack up encounters)
I don't really want to discuss other suggestions here or else this thread might end up derailing again and just turns into another radar thread. pls focus on just the 3 suggestions I put up.

Cheware

Tamer
The third point should have been the norm to begin with, really. That would help a lot reducing the difference of time between "capturing all Rares" and "defeating all rares, I only care about the Luma" which is currently... two/three-fold probably ? Even worse for low catch rate rares (Oceara and Shuine mainly).

This way, instead of one-shotting them and wait 3 minutes, you can spend one minute or two capturing them properly, and the time required to complete the radar should remain roughly the same, but with shorter AFKs in between spawns.

Bly Zeraz

Apprentice
Gonna be a yes from me on all 3 points here. Honestly these suggestions just sound like how it SHOULD have worked from the very start and I've tried bringing up making everything double battles at least before. For a game that revolves around 2v2 they sure don't seem to like taking advantage of that. Single tem encounters have basically no benefit while being actively punishing whether it's during TV training, freetem, or radars.

shock

Apprentice
This doesn't solve the core problems of radars, and if you just want to speed them up there are simpler ways.

Also, you do understand all of your suggestions are increasing the spawn rate right? If a player is encountering 100 tems per hr, and changes are made causing them to encounter 120 tems per hour, the spawn rate went up

Bly Zeraz

Apprentice
This doesn't solve the core problems of radars, and if you just want to speed them up there are simpler ways.

Also, you do understand all of your suggestions are increasing the spawn rate right? If a player is encountering 100 tems per hr, and changes are made causing them to encounter 120 tems per hour, the spawn rate went up
Did you... did you read the OP at all?

Goldschuss

Apprentice
I'm not sure what "core problems" you're referring to, in this thread I'm trying to tackle one specific issue, not anything else.

You should look up, what spawn rate means, then. Yes you encounter more temtem per hour (which is the very point of those suggestions) without actually changing the spawn rate.

shock

Apprentice
Sure technically they would be spawning at the same rate on the world map (not counting the 3rd recommendation), however by that definition its meaningless to try to maintain it. The thing that matters is how many encounters the player has an hour, or mainly how long a radar takes. Im all for speeding up radars, specifically the 5% radars. Saying your speeding everything up while maintaining "spawn rate" however is wrong, or at the very least disingenuous.

Bly Zeraz

Apprentice
Sure technically they would be spawning at the same rate on the world map (not counting the 3rd recommendation), however by that definition its meaningless to try to maintain it. The thing that matters is how many encounters the player has an hour, or mainly how long a radar takes. Im all for speeding up radars, specifically the 5% radars. Saying your speeding everything up while maintaining "spawn rate" however is wrong, or at the very least disingenuous.
You... you do get the spawn rate doesn't change by simply not having it pause during battle right? The exact same amount of time for spawns themselves would be followed. You can disagree with the suggestions being good but you seem to only be arguing with it for misunderstanding it yourself.

Having every overworld spawn be 2 tems would make grinding through radars more time effective for each battle you have to sit through animations for anyway. Having spawns occur during battle means if you're taking time to catch rather than sweeping through encounters, the time spent to carefully whittle down the radar tem isn't time wasted toward waiting for the next encounter to spawn in the overworld.

I like this more than the usual suggestions demanding the radar spawn rate be the same for rares as common species as a compromise.

GundamFlicker

Apprentice
With the new update Crema has made it clear that they've listened to our feedback...and discarded it entirely. YAW himself made it clear he doesn't think radars should be sped up. This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the issues they've created and a clear divide between Crema and players over the value of time.

Crystalitar

Tamer
Just gonna support this idea too.

If anything, 3. Seems the most logical out of all of em (and wich might get implemented most likely)

Goldschuss

Apprentice
With the new update Crema has made it clear that they've listened to our feedback...and discarded it entirely. YAW himself made it clear he doesn't think radars should be sped up. This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the issues they've created and a clear divide between Crema and players over the value of time.
It's their decision on what to do with radars. I think this decision was taken for a reason and just because we don't like it, doesn't mean they lack a fundamental understanding. However, personally I would've preferred if they didn't remove radars, until those new places (where 5% radars will supposedly be) are actually in the game.

GundamFlicker

Apprentice
It's their decision on what to do with radars. I think this decision was taken for a reason and just because we don't like it, doesn't mean they lack a fundamental understanding. However, personally I would've preferred if they didn't remove radars, until those new places (where 5% radars will supposedly be) are actually in the game.
Based on his comments elsewhere, YaW is basing decisions purely on maths, and somehow thinks that slower encounters = keeping the tem rare. Even though a radar is 400 encounters regardless. Changing the speed at which you complete a radar doesn't affect rarity in any way other than potentially stopping people doing a radar at all due to not wanting to spend days on it.

That to me is a fundamental lack of understanding and not one I will be charitable about.

Moving them to a later point in the game merely kicks the can down the road.

dionysia1217

Rookie
I've been seeing a lot of radar discussion resurfacing lately. The biggest problem for most people is the massive time investment in low spawn radars, yet a lot of suggestions made to alleviate this, can't be implemented without directly affecting the rarity of said Temtem. I do a lot of radars myself and since I'm a strong supporter of the mentality that "rare temtem should stay rare", I present to you 3 changes that will massively speed up radars, without changing the rarity of each temtem.

1. Radar encounters will always be double encounters.
2. Due to 1, double encounters will no longer "consume" overworld temtem. so each time you run into a temtem, 2 will spawn.
3. Radar timer now ticks even in battle! Currently, you have to stand in a patch of grass for a certain period of time, not doing anything else until your temtem spawns. This is possibly the biggest gripe I have with the system.

With those 3 changes combined, you can complete each radar a lot faster, while still being true to it's original design in regards to rarity for each radar/temtem.
I'd say reduce chains number with the same spawn rate bonus to its 1/2-1/3.
400 is just insane.
Also the current mechanics of radars and saipark being: you get 10000 or nothing!!! is not rewarding.
To be frankly this kind of mechanics imho will only kill majority of the player base and leave those who are hardcore for this game alive.
And how many % of total player base is: that hardcore / only play one game Temtem / has no family matter nor job / has infinite time to spare?

Skar

Rookie
And this is very worrisome. If players don't feel their time investment is being properly rewarded, they are simply not going to play the game. We've seen this happening time and time again with other games.

And it's no secret that MMOs live and die by their playerbase, especially one coming from and indie company.

Kirlia

Rookie
My issue with rare radars is the afk time while waiting for spawns, and that these radars expire.

The idle time would be helped a lot by temtem still spawning while you're in an encounter.

I also thought it would be nice if when you defeated a dojo battle, you recieved a token (example: kinu token) with no expiration that you could redeem for a radar with a weekly expiration whenever you wanted. There could be a limit of how many tokens/radars you can hold at once.

I also don't see why the radars had to be removed for an indefinite amount of time. They could have just stayed until a change was ready.

GundamFlicker

Apprentice
And it's no secret that MMOs live and die by their playerbase, especially one coming from and indie company.
Nor is it a secret that a not insignificant number of temtem players are alt accounts for people. So it can be even more disastrous if not handled correctly here.

Tarina

Rookie
The inability to pause radars, and the fact that the radars expire, are the two greatest complaints I have with the system. I wouldn't mind if a 5-10% radar took as long as it does, if I were able to chip away at it a little one day, a bit the next, on my own terms, instead of being told "You must AFK in this spot for a full day or two this week if you want to complete this radar... and once you start it, you aren't allowed to do anything else in this game until you finish it." Because that sucks.

Goldschuss

Apprentice
This topic sparks a much wider discussion than what was initially discussed and can be closed.

I also changed my stance about speeding up radars in general. While I think that the third change proposed is the most sensible approach, I also no longer stand by the opinion of Less time = same rarity.

I'm certainly not alone when I say, that I generally don't do 5% radars anymore, because of the huge time sink. But if I feel that way, then I'm sure many others will too. so I don't do my 5% radars. Less 5% radars completed = less 5% lumas. If they were made faster in any way, it would encourage people to complete more 5% radars and thus, send more 5% lumas into the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.