Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[Minigame] A UNO-like minigame using Temtem typing to help newbies get familiar with the typings

Silber

Veteran
The idea is fairly simple:

The player and the AI both start with 8 cards. One card is placed in the middle. In order to be able to play a card, the typing of the card must be a typing that has a type advantage over the card in the middle. Neutral acts as a joker, being playable on top of all other types except Mental.

The win conditions are to either have the fewest cards remaining when the deck runs out OR to get completely rid of your hand (meaning playing your last card).

If the player whose turn it is has no card they can play, they draw a card and end their turn without playing a card.

Concept art: An Earth type card:

I envision this minigame being fairly easy and available fairly early on (Brical de Mar, for example), rewarding a small amount of Pansuns (~200?) per win once a day. This could help alleviate early-game lack of Pansuns while also teaching the typings.

Change the reward from money to consumables to use during battle: three balms/tonics. New players learn the type matchups while getting some useful items for playing through the campaign early on when they need the items and benefit from learning the type matchups.

Make it available in the Accademia to play with other students. It's a game the teachers invented for the students to learn the basics.

Make three difficulty levels: one with only mono-types, one with only dual types, and one with a mix of single and dual types.

I'd play this for fun.

Silber

Veteran
Change the reward from money to consumables to use during battle: three balms/tonics.
Better than Pansuns, tbh. Something they can use and that doesn't create an incentive to mindlessly farm it.

Make it available in the Accademia to play with other students. It's a game the teachers invented for the students to learn the basics.
This is honestly where I pictured it taking place.

Make three difficulty levels: one with only mono-types, one with only dual types, and one with a mix of single and dual types.
I've only really experimented with the idea of mono-types, but I did notice there are some imbalances that arise from it in theory. (For example: Wind only being countered by Electric, but then electric is strong against 4 different types so there is opportunity and incentive to use it. If there is a limited number of them in the deck, that automatically means it is possible to run out of counters for wind)

I'm not sure these imbalances could be fixed by staying with only mono types. Mixing in dual types may be necessary to provide a balanced deck, tbh.

What about having the card game be played with separate sets of cards based on the available species on the island? New players would play cards using the tems they're already encountering locally.

Each town's Temporium and maybe some NPCs in safe buildings around each island offer to play. At the airship docks would be NPCs that play full decks of all the tems that can be encountered on the islands you've visited before.

In addition to having type matchups when placing a card based on whether one of its types is super effective against the last card played, include attack techniques that tem can learn with the name of the technique. If the NPC plays Kaku, I can play Tateru because it gets Noxious Bomb.

Another addition to playing a card, the card you're playing only has to have one of its types hit super effectively on the last played card. If the game plays a Cerneaf and I have Vulcrane, Vulcrane's fire attacks would still hit hard on Cerneaf.