Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Redistrobuting the starters

Abbi-Tato

Rookie
Hi, I wanted to write up a problem I've had with the game since Tucma - namely the accessibility of the starters. The fact that Crystle is accessible on the third island, while Smazee and Houchic will be available on the 6th island is quite a problem in terms of making the starters feel valuable. Since you can catch Crystle less than half-way through the game, Crystle feels distinctly less valuable compared to the others. Problem is ; you can't put that genie back in the bottle. If Crystle disappeared from the tucma grass patch right now and was nowhere else, Crystle would be come just as weirdly inaccessible as the other starters.

Therefore, here's what I propose. In the 1.0 patch (so not arbury, houchic and smazee can show up there for one patch) once all the tems are accessible, all 3 tems would move to a new grass patch on the endgame island. Probably with 5% encounter rate for each, and 95% for like, tateru or something. This would mean that all 3 starters would feel special because their specific talents wouldn't be properly available until the final end of the game's story.

I also think that the first one, maybe two islands need a tweak also. One of the biggest complaints I saw about TemTem was the encounters on the first island. Some more variety would go a long way ; maybe a chubee 5% somewhere, an oree 5% somewhere else, Droply and Bigu 40% perhaps? And then for the second island maybe hoglip and vulffy at 5% also? The best reason for this is IMHO it's more difficult to add tems to your team from the wild later in the game in a casual playthrough, so most players run with tems from the first 2, maybe 3 islands. So the more tems that are *technically* accessible early on (even if not easy or fast to catch) would be a ton of fun. I also think giving the tamer battles on the first island a look-in couldn't go amiss. Add some spice from later islands in a few fights - would make the fights there fit a lot better with the tems in Kisiwa and Cipanku. That's a topic I'll go more in depth on in a future post as some point though.

Thanks for reading! Loving the game as always, just thought this could make the campaign a lot more fun!

Last edited:
I'd prefer to make the three starters 5% encounters available in one encounter zone each around the early parts of the Kisiwa campaign: Crystle where it is now just before entering Kisiwa, Smazee in a cave not long after completing the Vumbi dojo, and Houchic in a cave added to the Aguamarina Cave on Deniz which requires the gravitonic piolets to climb up similar to how they're needed for the water shrine. These three would all be fairly close to each other in how far the player has progressed through the campaign.

Abbi-Tato

Rookie
I'd prefer to make the three starters 5% encounters available in one encounter zone each around the early parts of the Kisiwa campaign: Crystle where it is now just before entering Kisiwa, Smazee in a cave not long after completing the Vumbi dojo, and Houchic in a cave added to the Aguamarina Cave on Deniz which requires the gravitonic piolets to climb up similar to how they're needed for the water shrine. These three would all be fairly close to each other in how far the player has progressed through the campaign.
Oh that works too! Honestly don't mind when they're all available, as long as they are all available around the same time