Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Running back and forth to heal after every 2 trainers is antifun

doctorthe10th

Rookie
Hi I've been playing through the game and I am loving the difficulty compared to Pokemon. However one thing I have noticed is that after every 2 or 3 battles my friends and I are having to run all the way back to heal. I find that a large chunk of time is spent running back and forth healing instead of battling and exploring. Balms and especially balm+'s are rather expensive to be using outside of battle (especially since you get so little money from trainers) so I was wondering if it would be possible to have a healing item that ONLY heals outside of battle for a cheaper price.

Balm costs 80 and heals 25 hp while 3 balms cost 240 and heals 75hp
Balm+ costs 325 and heals 70hp

It just isnt cost efficient outside of battles to heal and keep pushing compared to running back to the heal station and because of this I have to constantly waste time running back and forth. That part of the game just isn't fun and takes up a lot of time.

Here are a number of reasons I find healing to be a bit frustrating. First it doesnt feel cost effective to heal using items outside of battle due to how expensive they are versus how much you get from each trainer battle, Second it just isn't fun having to run so far back after progressing past 2 trainers every time, Third wild level 9 Temtem's are still doing 1/4th HP bar damage to my level 25 Temtem's. It's not cost effective there to use a balm or smokebomb but if they aren't one shot it means I'll have to go heal after about 3 or 4 of them. Fourth (and one of my more personal playstyle reasons) I just don't like using items in battle because the AI doesn't use items. It makes it feel like I won using item abuse rather than using battle strategy.

So Basically I am asking if there is a chance you could add items that only work outside of battle or possibly lower the cost of some of the items in general to encourage the player to push further down the routes instead of running back to heal. It is the most unfun part of the game.

I'd even suggest getting rid of the healing all together and let the player fully heal after every battle while making every trainer battle far more difficult and challenging.

Thank you for reading I know it was a bit long.

Lakkrim

Rookie
I think that you should invest in Smoke Bombs as then you won't have to run back to heal, you'll only have to continue on your journey after teleporting to the Temporium.

Also Balm+ are not supposed to be cost efficient outside of battle. The whole point of them is to heal for more but only cost 1-turn, rather than 3-turns of Balm for a similar effect. It's like in other games, a Cure 1 spell is much cheaper than Cure 2, but in battle you can't afford to heal by a small amount.

Regarding the level 9's doing 1/4th to your level 25's, I agree that is a bit unnerving, but if you type them appropriately or just know the weaknesses so that your level 25's 1-shot the level 9's, you won't have a problem. I find that most people level only 1 or 2 tems and then don't have the type-advantage later on. Not saying it's you, but just saying there have been many like that who have complained.

Anyways, those are just my 2 pansuns.

Peace, Love, and Saipat~

-Lakkrim

Aeon

Apprentice
I think that you should invest in Smoke Bombs as then you won't have to run back to heal, you'll only have to continue on your journey after teleporting to the Temporium.

I think the suggestion is if there is a cheap out of combat heal, that would save you the trouble of having to teleport to the Temporium using a smoke bomb and then running back. Balms are priced for combat usage so they don't work for this purpose.

I do agree part of it might be strategy or Temtem balance, I see this problem exclusively with Houchic early level, a level 25 losing 1/4 health against level 9's is unusual for me.

YaW

Game Director
Staff member
This is intrinsic to how difficult is the game. If potions were cheaper you wouldn't care to end up a battle in bad shape because you could heal all the time. The need to go back to the Temporium (via walking or via Smoke Bomb) is there to act as a light punishment.

With that said, we agree currently there's too much backtracking and we're planning to add some stuff on Alpha 3 that will alleviate a bit the situation (but it won't remove it totally).

Gdach

Rookie
I think they are not fun because they are not really difficult so they feel more annoying. I think we should increase their difficulty and space them more.

doctorthe10th

Rookie
Yeah the difficulty is really good. I actually would prefer it to be more difficult akin to what Gdach is saying but that is what the nuzlockes will be for. It's mostly just having to back track every time. I don't really understand why that would be considered a punishment however. I've won every trainer battle first try but no matter how you fight them you are going to be taking a decent amount of damage due to not knowing their team ahead of time. meaning no way to pre-plan your moves or avoid damage if they start with something with type advantage. You are going to take damage which means after every 2 or so battles against trainers you have to return or use items regardless of how well you play the battles. So it just feels like after each battle I will have to go back just because I'm trying to progress.

Thank you for the responses. I've been enjoying the game a lot.

YaW

Game Director
Staff member
This has been improved in 0.3 with the introduction of the Temessence phial.