Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tamer Pass and FOMO

Piechu

Rookie
It was inevitable that Temtem would have an ingame shop to cover server costs- that's totally fine and understandable. If anything, it's the best way to go regarding it if you do not want the game to end up as a subscription service.

However, the Tamer Pass and the ingame shop are reeking of FOMO.
The rotating shop is problematic, as it preys on people's impulsiveness, by having cosmetics available on a timer. If they want a cosmetic, but are hesitant, they may have to wait YEARS depending on how many items fill the pool of cosmetics. People should self-select and purchase what they want, as opposed to being coerced into something due to a limited time window.

The Tamer Pass is another problem. I've always disliked battle passes, as they force a certain amount of activity in a game in order to obtain things, which are limited by time. It has been stated that there's zero plans to re-release cosmetics contained in the pass in the future, leaving all future newcomers unable to purchase something they like due to it being included in a pass. Deep Rock Galactic handles this perfectly, by adding those cosmetics/skins into a pool to obtain later on if you don't obtain it in that's season's pass. Instead, just add them to the shop down the line instead of keeping them permanently exclusive.

Or, once the passes are purchased/introduced, they are permanently unlocked for that account and can be completed whenever, similar to Plants Vs. Zombies Battle for Neighborville.

There's different ways of doing this aside from using a system that is poor for the consumers.

Once of the biggest problems I have with this is that you're punished as a person simply for not knowing about the game's existence when these battle passes expire. Smite is a shining example of this. Even when I first started playing smite YEARS ago, it was already too late for me to ever get Void Wyrm Kukulkhan because they decided to have him in a time-limited pass and never make him available again. THrough no fault of my own, it is now impossible to get this skin, and it's one of many they did this with.

You're also punished for having a life outside of the game. "You were busy with college? Got put in the hospital for weeks/months? Had a life-altering event that absorbed your time? Started to get burned out and took a little break? Well sucks to be you, looks like you can never get these items now!"

It would be one thing if this stuff was some kind of kickstarter/backer reward, which is already kind of a problem but at least it's excusable. There's no good justification for one-time only time-gated items. There needs to be a way to get them later, either by being able to re-initiate the battle pass with feathers or something, or just having an extra cycle of it periodically running concurrently with the latest pass available only to people that haven't completed it before.

Hell, you could even make an in-game activity for it like a solo lair where you can only open the door to it by paying the battle pass's fee (or not, if you already paid for that pass before, but it could honestly go either way) and then have the reward at the end be one of the pass's items until you've gotten them all, at which point the door permanently seals/vanishes.

Tarina

Rookie
I despise FOMO. But games keep doing it. Over and over and over and over. I'm sick of it.

If it has to exist, at least do it like FFXIV does with their seasonal items: Obtainable/earnable ingame while the season/event is running, a year of exclusivity for the people who did the event while it was live, then once that year is up, it's put in the cash shop. Permanently. After that point, anyone who really wants it can purchase it.

This provides incentive to do the event/battle pass while it's running, rewarding active players while giving newer players/people who missed the event an opportunity to obtain it down the line. A win-win imo.

Arokh_Belmont

Rookie
I despise FOMO. But games keep doing it. Over and over and over and over. I'm sick of it.

If it has to exist, at least do it like FFXIV does with their seasonal items: Obtainable/earnable ingame while the season/event is running, a year of exclusivity for the people who did the event while it was live, then once that year is up, it's put in the cash shop. Permanently. After that point, anyone who really wants it can purchase it.

This provides incentive to do the event/battle pass while it's running, rewarding active players while giving newer players/people who missed the event an opportunity to obtain it down the line. A win-win imo.
I think a weekly rotation instead of a daily one for the Nova cosmetics would be better and healthier for a bit less FOMO. On the topic of FFXIV this is only partially true. There are some seasonal items which never return. (PvP Feast mounts for example)

Tarina

Rookie
I think a weekly rotation instead of a daily one for the Nova cosmetics would be better and healthier for a bit less FOMO. On the topic of FFXIV this is only partially true. There are some seasonal items which never return. (PvP Feast mounts for example)
Very fair, I forgot about the Feast items. I was moreso thinking of the seasonal events when I made this post.

My point still stands, however- I REALLY do not want to see a large amount of "unobtainable forever" cosmetics in the battle pass. A period of exclusivity? Sure, go for it. But don't lock people out from them *forever* just because they couldn't play for a month, or didn't know about the game until later.

Piechu

Rookie
Another game that handles this exclusivity well is 100% Orange Juice

They run seasonal events that contain exclusive cosmetics, but those events WILL return for sure. If they don't, they retire the event and put all unlockables that the event would have in the shop for people to access whenever.

adam86shadow

Tamer
FOMO is definitely a big NO NO for reasons others have said. It's completely unnecessary and makes me reconsider promoting Temtem if its going down this predatory path and yes FOMO is predatory

FOMO.

If it has to exist: Obtainable/earnable ingame while the season/event is running, a year of exclusivity for the people who did the event while it was live, then once that year is up, it's put in the cash shop. Permanently.
I like this format. A year is a while to wait but this is generally how I want it to be.

Negatory

Tamer
FOMO cosmetics are a big deterrent for me.

The items going into the cash-shop after their pass is over is appealing, with a price mark-up to distinguish people who earned them through the event.

I also like the idea of being able to purchase any previous pass at a markup, with the current pass being "on sale". When you go to purchase the pass, you could choose between the hot new pass or one of the older ones.

Continuing, since the active pass would now be based on a choice, you could also opt to remove the timer. You've paid for it and you have it until you complete it (with perhaps an option to non-refundably nuke it so you don't have to complete the entire pass if you don't want it.)

Pink G

Apprentice
I will support this game and foresee myself getting the Tamer Passes. However, as others are saying, FOMO is a negative experience. Even though I plan to complete the Tamer Pass kind of asap, knowing you have daily/weekly quests to do and progress will probably *guilt* me into playing the game when I don't quite feel like it, which could lead to negative experiences of the game.

It would be much better if any pass you bought can be completed after the season too.

Regarel

Rookie
I will support this game and foresee myself getting the Tamer Passes. However, as others are saying, FOMO is a negative experience. Even though I plan to complete the Tamer Pass kind of asap, knowing you have daily/weekly quests to do and progress will probably *guilt* me into playing the game when I don't quite feel like it, which could lead to negative experiences of the game.

It would be much better if any pass you bought can be completed after the season too.
If they want to avoid a FOMO issue, then I agree it would be a good plan to make the pass not time limited. Just make it last until you complete it without a limitation, and available for future players to buy into if they wish. Bonus points if it's a mission based pass to have players explore niche content, like a scavenger hunt.

Cheware

Tamer
Even though I plan to complete the Tamer Pass kind of asap, knowing you have daily/weekly quests to do and progress will probably *guilt* me into playing the game when I don't quite feel like it, which could lead to negative experiences of the game.
That's something that should be properly planned beforehand.

It will all be about balance. If you have to not miss any single daily/weekly in order to max out the Pass before it ends, then it sucks. If it's large enough so that you don't even need to complete everything but just playing the game normally, then it's OK.

Rumors

Rookie
Also add me to the list who does not want to see FOMO in this game or any other. At all. Easier/cheaper to acquire in the pass, sure. Timed exclusivity, sure. But "get the pass and devote a ton of playtime to it or miss out forevah! :D" is awful and, to be blunt, disrespectful of the players. Please don't do that!

Battle pass items should go to the cash shop, eventually show up in feather shops, get added to other loot pools, turn up as event rewards later, or even turn up in future battle passes. One of those, some of those, all of those, or other options, any is good as long as they're not permanently gone. For example on some of those ideas, Warframe, at least when I used to play it, had a decent system where if you already owned the cosmetic in a given pass, you instead got extra currency for that season's BP shop. Some other BP items would show up in future BP shops too for those who missed them.

Aerotan

Rookie
FOMO tactics on the battle pass is certainly something that gives me pause. I got locked out -twice- from WoW's Mage Tower druid skins because I got bored of or could no longer afford the sub costs, and it was a big reason why Blizzard is very low on my list of companies to give money to even before all of the controversy at the start of the year hit.

One of the companies with a Battlepass I enjoy the model of is Super Animal Royale. Current battle pass has a free track and a paid track. If you buy a battle pass it's unlocked permanently, and you can have both the current pass and one previously purchased pass active at the same time, and progress both together. Oh, and you can buy previous passes at any time, for a slight markup that's advertised as the current pass being on a discount.

Cheware

Tamer
Also add me to the list who does not want to see FOMO in this game or any other. At all. Easier/cheaper to acquire in the pass, sure. Timed exclusivity, sure. But "get the pass and devote a ton of playtime to it or miss out forevah! :D" is awful and, to be blunt, disrespectful of the players. Please don't do that!

Battle pass items should go to the cash shop, eventually show up in feather shops, get added to other loot pools, turn up as event rewards later, or even turn up in future battle passes. One of those, some of those, all of those, or other options, any is good as long as they're not permanently gone. For example on some of those ideas, Warframe, at least when I used to play it, had a decent system where if you already owned the cosmetic in a given pass, you instead got extra currency for that season's BP shop. Some other BP items would show up in future BP shops too for those who missed them.
Indeed, Warframe is a good example. There is no pressure in completing the Passes as you can complete it passively by playing and skipping like 90% of the quests, and indeed you can get some (most) of the cosmetics you missed in the subsequent events as they're purchasable with the Pass currency.

sjul

Rookie
Large agreement here. Doesn't matter that it's "only cosmetic" I'm afraid, FOMO is real and it feels bad to see it taken advantage of.