Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Visual effects in battle that can cause dizziness or headaches. Tell us!

Tsukki

Community Manager
Staff member
Hi Tamers!
In recent and not so recent patches we've tackled issues that caused discomfort, muscle strain or photo-sensitivity. We've recently heard that some VFX (visual effects) on Technique animations, like Noxious Bomb and Drill Impact, were causing headaches to some players.
So we want to know more about which battle VFX (or VFX and animations in general) are causing you dizziness and/or headaches so we can take another look at them and rework them to avoid these side-effects. If you could also pinpoint which exact part of the visual effect or animation is giving you trouble, that'd be extra helpful.

Do keep in mind that not all accessibility changes are equally easy to tackle, design and/or implement. We still have along way to go, and even these changes might not be immediate, so please be patient and let's all work together on improvements as they come. This will also help us better design future VFX.

Also, please respect the purpose of this thread and don't use it to talk about animations you find too long, short, underwhelming, plain, or any other sort of general feedback. Use or create any of the other existing feedback threads for this.

Thank you!

Millarz

Rookie
I worry that I'll give people seizures by showing sped up videos of capturing temtem. It would be nice to have an option to disable or at least reduce the flashing of the capture animation. I am mildly photosensitive and watching a sped up video of capturing a rhoulder made me nauseous. Then again, I only had that problem in my first video when I was more inexperienced in editing and I probably wouldn't ever make footage go that fast again so I don't know how much of a problem that really is

HexedHero

Rookie
Getting flash banged by an entirely white screen when switching to a new area.

I agree that the screen flashing white for temcard capture waves, PVP battle starting, and area transition is a significant eye strain issue. The game is already very bright in almost every area and the white flashing is just overkilling it. It would be far better if it went black for transitions and the temcard effects were dimmed or only flashed white inside the temtem model.

It's even worse when someone is streaming their screen in discord. It flashes white multiple times every time they do a new load zone.

PikminWarrior

Rookie
In particular, I think the white encounter flash in the Chini Grotto dark section is really unpleasant. When you're looking closely at the screen for the slightest visual indicator for how you're progressing, and then an encounter causes the screen to go from almost completely black to flashing almost completely white.

VeriferVenti

Rookie
The flashing lights when capturing a Temtem can be jarring, as mentioned above.

Additionally, the flash of swirling lights when using two Lumas can become problematic over extended periods of time, like Luma hunting. It would be nice to have the option to turn off the swirling lights for your own Temtem (wild ones are fine because of how infrequent that is), to avoid problems while playing for long periods of time.

Zinn

Rookie
There are far too many instances of bright white flashes/pop-ups, both when travelling but in particular when encountering temtem in the wild. The effect isn't even necessary since you already have the stop in movement, the other transition screen and the sound but it's blinding to the point where I somtimes have to close my eyes after training temtem for a while: And I'm not even photosensitive, I can't even imagine how it must be for them.

You should carefully consider anything related to frequent activities, since Temtem currently requires you to put most of your playtime into traning and capturing in various forms - something that requires intense and constant exposure to transition screens relating to travel (teleporting and by ship), everything regarding the entire encounter process and even entering/leaving buildings. Similarly, if there are moves that are commonly used and have bright white flashes.

TMTrainer

Game Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind there is a setting to disable the screen flashes when entering battle in game right now! Not saying this particular feedback isn't valuable (it's extremely valuable!) but for those of you currently suffering from it, check out that setting!

Tarina

Rookie
Keep in mind there is a setting to disable the screen flashes when entering battle in game right now! Not saying this particular feedback isn't valuable (it's extremely valuable!) but for those of you currently suffering from it, check out that setting!
Speaking honestly? I feel that setting should become the default, rather than something people have to look for. All the settings designed around reducing eye strain should be the default moving forward.

LukeLeal

Rookie
I think Charged Iron Fillings animation is too flashy. Specially at the end. I always look away when it happens. Which is a shame cause the overall animation is cool =P